Starring: Rafe Spell, Arsher Ali, Robert James-Collier, Sam Troughton
Director: David Bruckner
Runtime: 1 hour, 34 minutes
Based on the novel by Adam Nevill
Horror | Suspense| Thriller | 2017
Here we are folks. Yet another October to be filled with scary movies that David wants to see. That should make it interesting though right? He picked out some movies based on a theme that I've already forgotten (sorry, not sorry). The first one is The Ritual. It's a Netflix film about some friends that go on a hike in Sweden. And let me tell you, it's F-ing weird. Basically, their friend dies tragically and the four friends go on a hike that said friend wanted to do. They get lost in the woods, and awaken things that scare the hell out of them.
To me, the plot is fairly obvious once you pick up on little clues and foreshadowing (hey, I guess that English class in High School really does teach you something?). For fear of giving it away though...
1. The men stay the night in a cabin that has a strange statue of something... they have a rough night.
2. After that, each man goes missing then found dead by the others.
3. There are people living in the woods that you at first think are hunting them, but really I don't think that's true.
4. WHAT the EFF is that thing. It was like a horse human with shark teeth and God knows what else.
5. It definitely takes awhile to figure out why it's called "The Ritual."
This movie just wasn't for me. It felt just like Blair Witch (which I'm not a fan of) and it was just strange as all get out. I truly don't understand the imagination some adults have. Thankfully I did not have any nightmares, as the film itself wasn't too scary for me. Just annoying after awhile and then just no thanks. (1/5) for creativity.
"If that boy were an apple, he'd be a delicious"
follow me on Twitter and Instagram @shanschltz